Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What happened to customer service?

Monday was a big day for us. We traded in our SUV for a mini van. I'm now a proud owner of a Buick Terazza mom-mobile and I love.

However, before we could make the transaction we had a few things to take care of. First, we decided to go to McD's for lunch. Larry asked for a refill on his sweet tea and was refused. I gave it a try and was refused. I made sure they knew that I've always gotten a refill and I wasn't about to pay $1.06 for a $.03 cup of water and sugar. The boy refilled the cup. What's the big deal about refilling a cup for a customer? If you want the customers to return shouldn't you try to make them happy? What happened to 'the customer is always right'? Do they NOT know they are in the SERVICE industry?

After that we went to the Secretary of State's office to get the title to our truck. Larry had to sit in line for almost two hours. At least the people were cooperative and polite. While he waited, Nathan and I went to the grocery store at the end of the strip mall so I could buy a book. When I got to the registers they were all full with about four people in each lines with full buggies. I only wanted a book. There were no self-check registers at all so I took my spot in line. I was fine with waiting until I noticed a couple of cashiers that had closed their registers so they could talk about their boyfriends. Finally they opened their lines when the manager spotted them. I was raised that when you're at work you should actually WORK. Talking is for your break--but that's just me.

We were then off to the bank where it took two plus hours for us to sign four pieces of paper. Again, the bank rep was kind and helpful. The reason for the delay was the incorrect paperwork given to us by the dealership--not the bank. When we got to the dealership we found that they had charged us several hundred dollars extra to file the documents. When we went over the numbers last week, nobody ever mentioned a document fee. It adds up to an extra payment. We weren't happy. The salesmen just shrugged and took us out to the van. They hadn't even bothered to clean it up. I would think that when selling a vehicle it should be washed with a little armor all on the dash, but they didn't bother. Larry let them know and they remedied the situation. Why did the customer have to point out a service they should provide without question? We had already gone through so much trouble to get the loan and title that we proceeded with the deal. I really wished I had the advantage of just walking away and letting them know why. Oh well.

I want to encourage everyone to remember to serve others as we should serve the Lord. Regardless of your profession, we should all remember to be in the 'service' industry for God's people.

No comments: